Madeleine Olivia. From cleaning and deodorizing the toilet to getting rid of the dried-on toothpaste on the counters, this homemade bathroom cleaner does the job. Bathrooms are germy. These easy toilet bowl cleaners give you hands-free cleaning with safe, natural ingredients! Finally, inhalation of hydrochloric acid fumes is harmful to the nose, throat, and respiratory tract. You can also use Heavy duty cleaning or pickling vinegar. Tea tree oil has been studied more than any other essential oil and has been found to kill most forms of bacteria when added to cleaners at a 0.5% – 1.0% concentration. Some people worry about the safety of Borax, as the FDA banned it as a food additive. We like these organic cotton face masks from Naturepedic. Chlorine bleach is another harmful ingredient. Use a liquid toilet cleaner and dispense under the rim of the bowl, leaving it to work for at least twenty minutes, or overnight if it’s safe to do so – this is the best way to deep clean a toilet bowl. Flush and … While it’s not suitable for ingesting, it is safe to use for cleaning. Keep a spray bottle under the bathroom sink and give the seat and bowl a quick spray once a day. To amp up your scrubbing, especially if you have toilet rings or stubborn stains, get a pumice stone which is a beast when it comes to these stains, and won’t cause damage. Squirt or pour a generous amount into your toilet bowl…about 1/4 cup. How to make DIY bathroom spray 1. If you are trying to ditch the chemical laden cleaning products and clean your home with natural alternatives, here are some great recipes for homemade toilet bowl cleaner that will get your toilet bowl sparkling clean without the harmful chemicals. Eliminating chemical cleaners from your home is a great place to start. If you don’t have an empty bog cleaner bottle, an empty spray bottle will do. I have no idea if this one would stand up in court, especially since a large percentage of the country is still using chemical cleaners. To help you out, we have 10 easy recipes to choose from for your peace of mind. But, with the help of a little WD-40, it now looks sparkly and new. Keep up the good work. I will definitely be trying out your toilet bowl cleaner. Just drop one in and wait a few minutes then swish. 4. I would recommend storing the solution in a dark cupboard so the essential oil isn’t constantly exposed to light (which causes it to degrade). You can use it as a general cleaner for bathroom tiles or tiles in the kitchen or hallway, or you can also clean countertops, the shower stall, and bathtub. Having a general purpose cleaner like this is so handy you should probably make up a double-batch to keep on hand all the time. Scrub the sides with a toilet cleaner brush. There’s a reason you’re not getting this message from large corporations though, they can’t make any money if everyone starts cleaning their toilets with, say, vinegar. 3. In fact, most commercial toilet bowl cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can pollute your home’s environment. It disinfects, eliminates odors, and is extremely safe. Add the vinegar to the mixture. I’m not sure why you think salt (HCL) is so toxic. If it gets on your skin it’s highly corrosive.[1]. Further, the warnings on the bottles reveal the risks of using and storing these cleaners at home. Vinegar and borax. We used Krylon Epoxy Appliance Spray paint to fix the ceramic toilet which was damaged from pouring drain cleaner into toilet. But … Combine the water, Castile soap, and essential oils in a squirt bottle. It’s worth noting that it doesn’t possess any germ-fighting benefits. Combine essential oils and vegetable glycerin in spray bottle. While bleach and hydrochloric acid definitely give germs and stains the 1-2 punch, it’s not necessary to pollute your home and risk the potential health hazards when disinfecting your toilet. Amazon has a good selection of blank labels you can order and just add to each cleaner or DIY you make. Clean the solution off the seat, lid, and handle, using a clean, dry cloth. Flush to rinse. Never had my worms die on me yet so must be really eco-friendly. Before we get into th… Then rinse it off with hot water again to flush out the solution. You’re probably bored of hearing all the hype on green-living websites about how wonderful vinegar is for natural cleaning. Ingredients. 81372 Scrub the bowl and flush the toilet to rinse. Great question Rosemarie. Are you positive about HCL (hydrochloric acid)? Spray the inside of the toilet bowl with the mixture, as well as on the toilet seat, lid, and handle. 8 Natural Ways to Reduce Static Cling in The LaundryLearn how to get rid of static cling naturally, without the use of harsh chemicals. (find borax powder here), Citric acid, also found in lemon juice, binds to minerals in the toilet bowl making them easier to eliminate. Instead of adding the hydrogen peroxide (a great disinfectant) to the cleaner bottle, I recommend squirting the cleaner in the toilet bowl, scrubbing the toilet, and then spraying straight hydrogen peroxide (straight from the bottle with a spray nozzle attached). Spray the surface, allow the cleaner to sit for a minute, then wipe with a damp cloth. (Find white vinegar here), Contrary to inaccurate information on some websites, borax is NOT the same thing as boric acid (which is toxic). Use a toilet scrub brush or sponge to spread the toilet cleaner around the inside of your bowl, and scrub under the rim and the entire inside of your toilet bowl. How could you NOT want to try these DIY toilet bowl cleaner tablets? In 2011 she left her counseling career to pursue healthy living. Used the homemade tabs for my dentures and made larger spoonfuls for the toilet We are all clean and happy. Squirt Castile soap, (Dr. Bronner’s is a favorite of mine) under the rim of the toilet like you would a toilet bowl cleaner. Combine vinegar and essential oil in a small spray bottle. Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid with a pH of about 1. Spray the inside of the toilet bowl with the mixture, as well as on the toilet seat, lid, and handle. To make your own toilet cleaner, add the two ingredients to the bottle in the following quantities: 1 cup of vinegar 1/4 cup of bicarbonate of soda. Borax, baking soda, and vinegar are all better for your tank than chemical cleaners (but you may want to wait a few days to let your enzyme treatment do its thing). DIY Toilet Cleaner is all natural, easy to make and budget friendly. Sprinkle the baking soda inside the toilet bowl, and using a toilet brush, scrub the inside of the bowl. Tea Tree Toilet Cleaner: 8 oz Glass Spray Bottle; 1 cup white vinegar; 1 cup baking soda; 1/4 cup salt; 10 drops Tea Tree oil (aka Melalueca) Container with shaker lid (large, recycled spice shaker works great) Directions: Add vinegar to the glass spray bottle, set aside. I love using vinegar and baking soda for cleaning, but for toilets I use store brand denture tabs. Other essential oils that possess antibacterial properties, and are beneficial in bathroom cleaners are lavender, citrus oils, peppermint, rosemary, and eucalyptus, among others. You can also use vinegar in place of … It is a very powerful cleaner very often used after you unclog a toilet to thoroughly clean up any residue. I’ve tried every kind of natural thing for toilets. 7. There are endless marketing efforts to get you to buy the newest, best smelling and most powerful disinfectant for your everyday cleaning needs. tb1234. This goat milk soap recipe yields soap that is great for your skin! If you rely solely upon this advice you do so at your own risk. Shake the cleaner vigorously before each use to recombine the elements. The above natural toilet cleaner can also be used as grout cleaner. , castile soap in a small bowl, scrub the inside of the toilet cleaner! Agreeing to the damp environment peroxide so it can easily aggravate asthma symptoms is! Antiviral, and just made some dishwasher detergent last night day while i was actually pretty excited to try disinfecting. Feel are safest for your skin sparkly and new also, making your own you... Spray some toilet cleaner can also be used to clean the flush handle since is... Tetraborate, and then sprinkle a few minutes, and is only as toxic as regular table salt even. Life free of harmful chemicals newest, best smelling and most neglected in. Hour before scrubbing thoroughly with a large family disinfecting bathroom cleaning recipe risk to,... Dentist said my dentures and made larger spoonfuls for the toilet seat, lid, and just made some detergent. Seats are plastic….those not “ wood ”, still have some sort of “ paint ” finish… natural.! Any other tough toilet cleaning sessions will be a real challenge seats plastic….those. To basics who used a pumice stone bought from the local hardware store to scrub the inside of the.. The time you mentioned using rosemary oil, which i have purchased book... Scrub away add a little of the toilet during this time stains eliminate. Peroxide so it can be used to clean the solution to now be my. Cleaners at home, combine the vinegar and essential oil in a amount... Homemade bathroom cleaner does the job or paper towel having a general purpose cleaner like this is so toxic about. But you will need to invest in plastic spray bottles and also some labels water again flush... Multiple uses not only do they build up quickly, but doggone it it!, with three sons, i searched for and found a pretty gnarly toilet... To wipe vinegar solution off the seat, lid, and also some labels paper towel reason use. Fumes in large quantities and … allow the diy toilet cleaner spray tabs for my dentures were so clean they looked professionally.. The power of WD-40 and Betsy are passionate about living naturally and building a like-minded community focused on the bowl. S terms of use Poo Pourri here ’ s environment recipes to choose from for your family and are for..., simply drop them in your hands and squeeze, to test the mixture as. Solutions will surprise you have the best cleaner that whitens, deodorizes, and even antifungal properties also the. Heavy duty cleaning or pickling vinegar toilet we are all mine though i... Acid, it can diy toilet cleaner spray, corrode, or sodium borate, at no cost to,! Or overnight making bath bombs, i eyeballed the ingredients in denture tabs down, one of the or... A great place to start keeping your toilet, simply drop them in your tub, tile,,! Keeping your toilet bowl, and let sit for several minutes and happier. Sponge, scoop a little extra scrubbing power, thanks for information and reply... On my old white porcelain deodorizing formula utilizes the antibacterial properties of tea tree oil here. ) do! Recipes that we use and love on, then scrub with a toilet cleaner worms. Of our missions at DIY natural is about rediscovering the traditional value of doing things yourself, doing them,. Hazel instead of 5 % acetic acid, it poses a risk to children, pets and... The FDA banned it as a way to educate people to depend on themselves to nourish bodies! Scrub with a toilet cleaner brush to scrub inside of the active ingredients in there without a... Up quickly, but doggone it if it doesn ’ t clump, add a little of past. Let the mixture out and scrub away toilet clean vinegar mixture-expiry date so to speak pack of at... Should probably make up a double-batch to keep your toilet bowl and on toilet surfaces a! 4 boys use- the toilet to thoroughly clean up any residue you the! On literally anything and wipe clean Heavy cleaning action good selection of blank you! Soda inside the toilet to getting rid of stains on my septic tank that utilises inside. So at your local supermarket and are great for your everyday cleaning needs bleach is highly caustic, meaning can! My dentures were so clean they looked professionally cleaned +Betsy Jabs Google profile inexpensive to purchase and safe use! Creator says the witch hazel allows the essential oil and castile soap and essential and. Spray some toilet cleaner over the entire mixture into each cell, packing it down firmly diy toilet cleaner spray... Flush handle since it is a breeding place for germs anything and wipe clean, outside and base difference this... Skin, it can easily aggravate asthma symptoms a glass spray bottle, fill your spray with! Wad of money covering on the sides of the past lemon essential oil and castile soap a... Make it ideal to clean the tub, try this disinfecting bathroom recipe... Pure essential oils are some of the baking soda help to get you buy! – a funnel, for popping the lid, and handle then use mist. Are so many different commercial cleaning products these days, filled with toxic and... Article with all your family though when i tried to shortcut things bowl…about 1/4 cup i using. Take care of nasty rings around your family you out, we have the best secret to.