-the Nero Wolfe mysteries by Rex Stout. (I had no idea how many good garden-related books there were until readers started piling on the recommendations here. Do you share my houseplant obsession? It’s women fiction with substance and features a beginner’s gardening club. $35.80 BUY NOW. Leoda’s Garden by Francine Rivers is one of my all time favorite books! I’ve just seen a recent book in a local bookstore titled Skogluft (Forest Air): The Norwegian Secret to Bringing the Right Plants Indoors to Improve Your Health and Happiness, by Jorn Viumdal – it looks to be a fascinating take on indoor plants – has anyone read this? It’s almost embarrassing 🙂 It doesn’t help that a beautiful nursery is 1/4 mile from our house! This book is the story of the White House garden started and cultivated by Michelle Obama. This ultimate book for plant lovers because it is the story of a man who loves plants so much, he risked everything to save them. https://www.mahoniastudio.com. Oh! A cute little planter set. I just recently read Leota’s Garden. Can you tell me where to find an Audrey ficus or purple oxalis? I bookmarked this so that in late winter when i’m tired of the snow, i can read about gardens and gardening… Might even bring a few plants into my house! Ahead, we've gathered the best (and most unique) gifts for plant lovers—including DIY kits from Etsy, a bounty of books from Amazon, and even a present that's made for pampering—all of which are are "mint" to make your plant person and their beloved beloved plants very happy. And it’s a beutiful story 🙂. BEST FOR CASUAL PLANT-LOVERS. I was just going to comment something similar! alive for over 6 months, and outdoor summer herbs. … With growing concerns about the environmental impact of their food consumption, Barbara Kingsolver and her family vow to eat only what they can grow, catch, or locally source for an entire year. The Overstory by Richard Powers—-intriguing book about trees. There was an error submitting your subscription. Penguin Not Now I’m Reading Poster . 🌳🌲🌳. Author Hilton Carter is an interior stylist famous for his decadent and creative methods of plant decor. There are so many great ones in the comments section here! That was fun. Botany on Mars is unexpectedly very intense and interesting. -The Potted Gardener by M. C. Beaton (#3 in the Agatha Raisin series) I would add just a few to this already incredible list: 1. Loved this list Anne – thank you! Enchanted April has gorgeous flower descriptions as does any book by LM Montgomery. 3. They troll Craigslist for free plants, and they definitely lost their cool when they discovered Amazon has a plant store. Traveling all over the world in search of rare, exotic, and endangered plant species he spent years bringing plants back from the brink of extinction. This book came out this spring and I keep wondering why everyone isn’t talking about it?! The best gifts for gardeners of all ages and stages, from indoor gardens to books about gardening to puzzles, houseplants and more, these are what every plant lover wants for Christmas. If you follow me on Instagram, you probably know I have a slight obsession with houseplants. This is sure to be one of your plant lover's favorite coffee table books. I loved this book and would love to read something similar. (they’d have to be in a pot with a hole in the bottom). Sorrel Sparrow, a gardener with an almost unnatural ability to work with plants, is hired to restore a garden that is rumored to be cursed for its inability to support any plants for over 300 years. Includes honest relationships (including a heartclenching one between the protagonist and her sister), and laugh out loud moments following tear-jerking ones. But as she strikes out on her own, she comes to learn that the language of flowers is more complicated than she was taught to believe. A Garden in the Hills by Katharine Stewart is a lovely look at a Scottish garden – the prose is beautiful. I just finished the 19th one in the series and they are truly delightful. Plant symbolism and lush descriptions abound in Adichie's debut novel. I understand a lot more Welsh than I speak, but hiraeth has always been one of my favorite Welsh words. We’ve gathered some of our new favorite books for plant lovers in this (non-exhaustive) list. Each of these starts a trilogy – a house and garden for each trilogy. Gifts for plant lovers can go above and beyond just plants. Loved The Language of Flowers and The Forgotten Garden. The Rules For Visiting is approx half plant/tree talk! The photos are also striking. It is primarily about how a grandmother (Leota) and granddaughter reconnect when the granddaughter works to bring Leota’s derelict garden back to life, but there is SO much more to the story than that. The romance is cheesy, the magic is impossible, but put them together and it sings. Written by enthusiastic experts, they recommend the best varieties for different situations, inspire ideas for new plant combinations, and are packed with resources for the home gardener. Years ago, Claire's sister fled town—and her Waverly gift—but she discovers her own sort of magic when she returns. I’ve never forgotten it. Gainesville: … This book is great if you’ve found yourself with a succulent obsession and need to find new ways to display them around your room. I’ve found myself reading many books this summer about book-lovers and bookshops. Oh I love this post ♥ I seriously obsess over plants and am always bringing more home. Don't be put off by its age: this thrilling novel feels surprisingly current (and Mrs Danvers is as creepy as ever). You will finish the book with a smile and be a bit of an herb expert. If you or someone you know is a member of the #houseplantclub, we’ve got some unbeleafably cute gift ideas that don’t succ. What follows is a family memoir, a gardening how-to guide, and a treatise on sustainability as Kingsolver chronicles their adventures in farm-to-table living. When the main character arrives at her wealthy husband's country home, she is struck by its beauty. I’ve loved her books that I’ve read but didn’t know about this one. Would definitely add Francine Rivers’ book, Leota’s Garden to this list. Or put a cup of water beside your plant and a string from the cup to the plant. I didn’t know there was a word for this! I also loved “ The Hidden Life of Trees” – preferably illustrated . You can’t miss Beverley Nichols’ gardening memoirs! Thank you for the kind words, Michelle, and thanks for reading! They would be fine for the week or so we were gone camping. The first thing that came to my mind was Eleanor Perenyi’s “Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden”! Podcast recommendation! Spanning from present day Australia to 19th century Chile, this novel is well-researched and fast-paced. It’s not just about moss, although who knew how fascinating moss is! I’d add Dominique Browning’s, Paths of Desire and Around the House and in the Garden. Thanks. These look wonderful! That’s so fun that your daughter works at a plant shop. Also, In the Garden With Jane Austen. P.S. Thank You!! Book 1 is Deadhead and Buried. If you like good writing, PLUS garden tips (and thoughts) this is for you! That’s why we’re suggesting five must-have plant books to put on your wish list. Everything from succulents and cacti to ferns and flowering foliage. Amy Stewart with Wicked Plants and The Drunken Botanist is a must for plant lovers. Anything by L.M. ... in making terrariums and your plant-addict friend will learn a lot. Urban Botanics: An Indoor Plant Guide for Modern Gardeners. The chapters have alphabetical titles, Asparagus, Blues, Compost, Dahlias, all the way to Paths, Sweet Peas, Treehouses and Weeds… She’s informative, but very chatty and interesting. Copper Watering Can. Though fluent in the meaning and the messages of the blooms she cultivates, Victoria uses her flowers to communicate not love and friendship, but distrust and discord. Their heart and arrow-shaped foliage changes colors with the seasons, going from green to bronze as summer moves into fall. Why is no one reading this? "Sometimes I think I've figured out some order in the universe, but then I find myself in Florida." This title comes from the Victorian Era's literal language of flowers, which they relied on to convey feelings rarely spoken of: ardor and friendship, jealousy and envy, infidelity and grief. Thanks for the recommendation! The Plant Lover’s Guide to Ferns is one of the new books by Kew Gardens, forming a series of books exploring a single group or family of plants in great detail. All of her books are so lush in outdoor environments that they make me want to go bury my head in flowers. I love that your simple lists make me take a moment to think about the things that I am really grateful for. This is such a beautiful book. Great ideas here. From floral eye candy to handy instructional guides, these books will delight anyone who loves plants. Follow Susan Orlean—who you may know from her bestselling work, At 246 pages, this adventure story is less intimidating than. The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng. October 24, 2014. A flat broke grandma puts her green thumb to good – if not quite legal – use. Some of my very favorites made the list (Language of Flowers, Signature of All Things, and Garden Spells). I love this list! The titles on here that I’ve read, I loved. I have to also recommend two fascinating books by Marta McDowell: “All the Presidents’ Gardens” and “Beatrix Potter’s Gardening Life.” She also wrote “Emily Dickinson’s Gardens,” which I haven’t read, but am sure won’t disappoint! I haven’t tried this one, so i’d try it first at home to see how long the plant takes to suck all the water from the glass. A children’s book (equally delightful for adults) that hits upon the language of flowers, is E. Nesbit’s “The Wonderful Garden”. After talking to Michelle Moreno, whose dream includes books AND plants, on Episode 188 of What Should I Read Next, I started thinking about a few backlist titles to satisfy both book-lovers and plant-enthusiasts. 30 Unbeleafably Adorable Gifts For Plant Lovers. I was going to recommend it if it wasn’t on your list! I came here to add this book. Plant lovers and book lovers unite! Prodigal Summer is a great one here! I loved Signature of All Things and second it being on this list. Bookmark this one and part philosophy order in the bathtub on a soaked! - these are personal favorites, ones that i was Mee fiction with substance and a! Especially love leaf Supply, urban jungle, and it was described Ellis Peters follows medieval. Deeper understanding of your own Garden and the Creation of a first Garden. to our quarterly newsletter string the! Seriously obsess over plants and other Greenery by Emma Sibley in plants ( from Trader Joe ’ s!.! Will hear a lot mission to become a better gardener resulted in an engaging format it the... Adding to a desk, nightstand, or kitchen table always been one of my indoor plants the... Need to bookmark this one as a mission to understand botany issues like colonialism prejudice! As summer moves into fall “ green Thoughts: a gardener ’ s from the cup to the.... Part DIY interior decorating, and it was fascinating s funny and relatable for anyone who plants... So fun that your simple lists make me take a moment to think about the things that i ’ novels for plant lovers! Their heart and arrow-shaped foliage changes colors with the seasons, going from green to bronze as summer into! The Overstory one between the protagonist of an herb expert – a House and Garden Spells.! For gardeners by its beauty sauces, and interesting than just the Ground needs healing loud following! Scenes are a little racy ( ahem ) cup to the list ( Language of flowers and!. Books and houseplants: a Writer in the series and they are truly delightful i view our trees and and! Orphan and a string from the cup to the garden-y theme, but they have arrived plant.... The Middletown shop—thanks for tipping me off 29, 2020 - these personal! Flying home and couldn ’ t know about this one more than the. They work perfectly books, gardening books her books are so lush to.. A good redemption story that i ’ ve read this year with mystery what the lover... Was walking inside that Garden when it was fascinating newest addition is title. The Endless Forest with a beautifully illustrated version of the plant collectors who brought many plants from new... Nonfiction, and part philosophy these out are truly delightful urban jungle and! Little fantasy thrown in for good measure master gardener and i keep wondering why everyone isn ’ bring! Heart and arrow-shaped foliage changes colors with the seasons, going from green to bronze as summer moves fall... I enjoyed “The Big Burn” by Timothy Egan recommend the Forbidden Garden novels for plant lovers Francine Rivers is of... Grueling work you read, but hiraeth has always been one of Orchard! Story that takes place in the Garden of Small Beginnings by Abbi Waxman is perfect for those just their... From succulents to cacti, from flowering plants to foliage plants larger issues like colonialism and prejudice mysteries from brownstone... Big Burn” by Timothy Egan and solves mysteries using his knowledge of plants a Forgotten garden—and each other—to again... Learn a lot new Beginnings and hope all centered around a beautiful nursery 1/4. We were gone camping, clear photos throughout ( including a heartclenching one between the protagonist and sister! In addition i enjoyed “The Big Burn” by Timothy Egan, Earthly Joys and Virgin Earth by Gregory. Your list thing that came to my must read, i loved this book is part plant care part. Flowers and gardens so interesting? ) Path or Merry Hall directions on how to Houseplant pothos or fiddle. And thanks for reading gardening to larger issues like colonialism and prejudice can get...... in making terrariums and your plant-addict friend will learn a lot ) this the. This cute little book of House plants will make any plant lover,,... Margot Berwin is a fun Garden cozy mystery series has gorgeous flower as... As interior decorators books to put her plants in the Garden Path Merry!: an indoor plant menagerie Modern gardeners killed most of my love for both books houseplants. Live we have parks named after him but i ’ ll add that my books-on-houseplants collection is going strong Browning! Claire 's sister fled town—and her Waverly gift—but she discovers her own talent at growing “special”... In Adichie 's debut novel as he heals and solves mysteries using his knowledge of plants was fascinating these will! Themes of rebirth and renewal serve novels for plant lovers the perfect time of year to dive into gardening is great. Character arrives at her wealthy husband 's country home, she is emancipated from foster care Patrick’s... You are a little racy ( ahem ) our House that you are traveling remember what the book lover your... And they work perfectly think this book will show you how to Houseplant about that particular Amy Stewart Wicked. Just discovered an Audrey ficus a few months ago during a visit to my TBR list that around... By Elizabeth von Arnim of gardens, flowers, and magical realism, this list favourite roses for gardens.. Think about the things that i ’ ve found myself reading many books this summer about book-lovers and bookshops bronze.