I just can't seem to control them without resorting to harmful chemicals so little by little I've been removing them from the garden. February 2014 However, not all Lilies are fragrant. If left unchecked, this fungal disease can destroy the whole leaf. The scent of the stargazer lily is heady and pleasant, announcing their presence and captivating the senses of anyone who comes near. The stargazer lily is surely a wonderful addition to the garden, but there are certain things you need to take into account, such as: The pollens of lily can stain the things they touch; Stargazer lilies can cause kidney failure and even death in cats or any other pets for … Lilium 'Stargazer' (the 'Stargazer lily') is a hybrid lily of the 'Oriental group'. The flower withered but I put it in a a pot with soil. I'll have to check that out next spring. Notes: Top - orange zest, fruity, dewy greens, aldehydic Middle - white lily, jasmine, gardenia, rose, spicy Bottom - woody, amber, musks. When they have finished blooming, you should deadhead each flower. To prevent new lilies from becoming infected, don’t plant them in areas affected by fungi or viruses for at least 5 years. I have family in Garner and surrounding area. I'm currently in the beginning stages of designing a fragrant garden to go outside my bedroom window. Star gazer lilies are a variety of hybrid oriental lilies that are easy to grow and resistant to disease. I actually can appreciate the smell of this one (when applied sparingly), however, once again, I wouldn't wear it. Personally, although I do love Lilies the smell can be very overpowering especially when you have a room full of them that you are working with. They have large blooms, often more than 3 blooms per stem, and can last weeks if … The blooms of this type of oriental hybrid lily are rich golden colors that are sometimes speckled with red spots. Interestingly, I've never noticed a single bee or butterfly on the flowers, although the ants seem to like them! Stargazer lilies smell of floral perfection to some, but to me they smell like hot dogs. A timeless beauty with infinite appeal. I would end up with pollen all over my nose! This sweet white flower fragrance is pure heaven. Stargazer Lily . Many gardeners like to grow lilies at the back row of a flower bed where they make a beautiful floral backdrop. Stargazer is a wonderful green fragrance that can be worn from day into evening, and its charm is irresistible to both men and women. Sensitivity to the smell may cause a headache. Lilies and stargazer lilies are very popular plants, meaning that this is actually a pretty reliable way to get a good recommendation for interested individuals. Lilies planted in the garden are also good for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds. I don't know Arena lilies specifically, but oriental lilies generally smell of spicy-carnation, cresylic and phenolic notes as well as the more generic floral notes like linalool, alpha-terpineol, phenyl ethyl alcohol etc, and a touch of cineole, aka eucalyptol (cardamom type note). If you have allergies or hate messes, you probably shy away from lilies. That is an inspired idea - a garden by the bedroom window. I hate it, but a lot of people do like it. I wonder what the problem could be. Asiatic lilies aren’t fussy and they thrive in nearly any type of well-drained soil. You can also plant Stargazer lily bulbs in the fall. I hate it, but a lot of people do like it. These lilies are known to be the smelly ones. To transplant Stargazer hybrids from their containers to your yard, follow the same instructions for transplanting lilies in your garden. Rich of a classic lily fragrance, Lilium 'Starfighter' is magnificent with its flamboyant, purplish-red flowers adorned with dark spots and white ruffled edges. I read how to deadhead it and left the anther on it. What do stargazer lilies smell like? Stargazer lily flowers are generally dark pink or crimson in the middle which gradually fades to the edge of the petals. I decided to look up to see if there is any way to get rid of the smell. In most climates, lily bulbs survive well throughout the winter and may only require some mulch to protect them from the cold. Stargazers grow well in sandy soil and require regular watering during the summer to keep the soil moist. To remove pollen stains caused by lily flowers, don’t use anything wet, as it is often easier to remove it dry. Lilies. First year they did not do well! I'm not sure, since I have never actually smelled a Casa Blanca. March 2013 Moving Thank you! I've got clethra," I am tempted to say that I am sorry to hear your news and I hope some day they will find a cure. Maybe it was just a fluke that they disappeared this year. Oriental Lily "Stargazer" is a real stinker. Born on sturdy stems, its large flowers, up to 7 in. It is found to be safe for dogs and horses. Found your blog and enjoyed reading it. Exquisite. The Stargazer lily is known for its electric-pink to crimson, rose-spotted flowers. This will result in clusters of stunning pink, white or golden blooms in the summertime. Some organic or natural pesticides can be helpful in controlling pests that infest your garden. The gorgeous lily family is another suitable choice for allergy sufferers as these stunning blossoms are pollen-free. Your comment will be posted after it is approved. November 2012 You will also find out the best tips if you want to grow oriental lilies in your garden. To me they are divine. 1) The Opulent And Heady Stargazer Lily “The tall white lilies were reeling in the moonlight, and the air was charged with perfume, as with a presence. But I think you're right, the fragrance can become headache-inducing and overwhelming indoors. May 2013 ... but also their sweet scent. July 2017 Hibiscus How would stargazer compare to Casa Blanca? I'm glad to see how well you use them in your garden. I'm right with you on the house ban for stinky flowers. In a word, they stink. Asiatic lilies, like the stargazer lily, do in fact have a strong cloying scent. Florists are well aware of the issue. You can also plant lilies close by each other about a foot apart. Even though Stargazer plants will grow without much attention, feeding will encourage large, healthy blooms. Then she drank a deep draught of the scent. Beautiful Yellow Flowers to Give Stunning Color to Your Garden, Types of Peonies With Gorgeous Flowers (Pictures, Name, and Classification), The Best Fragrant Flowers: White, Purple and More Flowering Plants (With Pictures), Rare Flowers That Are Absolutely Beautiful (Including the Rarest Flowers in the World), Stargazer Lily: Plant Profile, Flowers, Care and More, Lilac Bush: Facts, How to Grow It, Care Tips and More, Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus Syriacus): Plant Profile, Care, Varieties, Pruning, Wandering Jew Plant (Tradescantia or Spiderwort): Care, Types, Images and More. Learn how to grow this dramatic flower. Their smell is quite strong and has a way of filling a room. A couple hours later something took the anther and it left the pod on it. Are you planning to try Casa Blancas again? The smell didn't bother me but my ex mother in law said they reminded her of funerals. It has a beautiful easter lily trumpet shape - its a Longiflorum x (Longiflorum x Rubellum) hybrid - with a … Since Stargazers, like other Oriental lilies, dislike extreme heat, I had to fiddle with the location - full sun was too much, morning sun was too little - but after some trial and error I found the perfect location in my front garden, which gets afternoon sun. Their large colorful flowers ranging from light pink to deep crimson colors give off strong scents. (1). October 2013 In hot climates, mulching is recommended to help keep moisture in and prevent the soil from drying out. I bought some 2 yrs ago off a Wal-Mart discount rack in the garden section! Sensitivity to the smell may cause a headache. It's a shame Confederate Jasmine isn't hardy where you are - it has a heavenly aroma that wafts into our living room in May. January 2013 And beautiful pictures. I cut a stalk to bring in the house, the next day I thought I was going to die! The best time to transplant Stargazer oriental lilies is after they have stopped blooming at the end of summer. I love lilies but every one I've seen sticks. December 2012 August 2013 These flowers have large white blossoms and a very distinctive scent. The cure for phlox and clethra is more phlox and clethra! At least the lily's excessive perfume has all of outdoors to disperse it. In the center of the flower are long striking stamens covered in dark yellow pollen. To help keep lilies flowering all summer, you should also plant companion plants around them to provide shade for their roots. Being a type of oriental lily, Stargazers are more fragrant and taller than Asiatic varieties of lilies. The War of the Noses: Phlox "David" vs. Lilium "Stargazer.". It is found to be safe for dogs and horses. October 2012 Apparently she was right :). July 2014 While their flowers are lovely to see and smell, lilies pose a significant safety threat for your cat. Most gardeners plant these summer-blooming lily hybrids in their garden to make attractive colorful displays. However, not all Lilies are fragrant. The Stargazer lily is known for its electric-pink to crimson, rose-spotted flowers. Last year my stargazers smelled amazing. Stargazer lily flowers usually bloom from the middle of summer until the end of summer. For some people, though, the pungent smell of Stargazers can be too overpowering. Stargazer lilies grow from bulbs and you can plant them in well-draining sandy soil. Reply. Someone removed them, and when we returned to sing, I was fine. When I was out taking Bloom Day pictures over the weekend I was surprised to see some Stargazers out in my much ignored curb garden. hi there i saw ur blog by searching on how to take care stargazer lilies, its our wedding anniversary today my husband gave me this beautiful stargazer lilies.. oh yes they smell great in our room because they told me they love cold place but now starting to have a headache lol.. dont know if i should place them in my mini garden. There have been no reported cases of death from stargazer lily ingestion in dogs, but it can still cause negative side effects. (3). The fact is not all lilies smell. Be Careful with the Fertilizing and the Watering – Both over-fertilizing and over-watering are serious issues when it comes to caring for stargazer lilies. Are they getting enough sun? A single Stargazer in a bouquet bugs me but when they're in a garden, I appreciate them more. The second year this year I put miracle grow and coffee grounds all around them (read this someplace).I have around 12 now from the first 4, omg they are about 4 feet high each stalk has at least 10-12 blooms! There's nothing out there like the smell of a real life stargazer lily for me.. General Gardening While true lily species are numerous, there are also many plants with lily in their name that are not true lilies, such as calla lily, lily of the valley among others. The bulbs multiply quickly and can double every year. You will need to water your Stargazer lilies growing in pots or your garden enough so that the soil is kept moist. It has a very light tropical fruity fragrance (almost like a very light pineapple - mango type smell) - nothing like the strong spicey scent of orientals (which I personally am very fond of). If you decide to use a commercial fertilizer, then a 10-10-10 variety which includes equal percentages of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium is sufficient. You should also make sure that “Star gazer” bulbs are planted in soil that drains well but retains moisture. The best way to get rid of the pollen is to use sticky tape. The second type of lily is called an Asiatic lily. September 2013 Stargazer Lily Plant. Plant them in a gallon-sized container with drainage holes or in a flower bed. The scent of oriental lilies and Stargazers are best described as strong fragrant aromas. However, Oriental lilies such as Stargazer lilies are very fragrant, people either tend to adore their intense fragrance or really can't abide it. This post had me laughing! By July, every stalk has exploded with flowers. Because Stargazers are perennial plants, they will grow and flower year after year if they are in the right conditions. The War of the Noses: Phlox "David" vs. Lilium "Stargazer." Just one oriental lily Stargazer stem can produce up to and 8 large vivacious flowers. What happened? From many of the oriental lilies, Stargazers are one of the easiest types of lilies to grow in your garden or in containers. Some say that double bloom stargazer lily flowers are even more stunning with their multiple rows of bright pink petals. Florist normally pull the anthers on a lily because they produce the pollen. White stargazer lilies, in particular, have come to characterize a sense of purity and are often used as an expression of sympathy . It's not the pollen, which is way to big. Guess not. Stargazer Lily: Deep and luxurious. The stargazer is an oriental hybrid lily, which was developed in 1978. Although Stargazer lilies can tolerate partial shade, they need plenty of sunlight to grow to their full height. Stargazer lily plants grow well in containers and can create stunning floral showpieces on a balcony, patio, or decking area. I think the problem was probably deepening shade. However, to maximize growth potential, make sure soil is slightly on the acidic side and is well-drained. You may also notice that holes appear in your lily leaves due to beetles gorging on the foliage. This item: Stargazer Lily Premium Grade Fragrance Oil - 10ml - Scented Oil - for Diffuser Oils, Making Soap… $8.99 ($27.24 / 1 Fl Oz) In Stock. My beloved son gave me Stargazers today for Mother's Day. BTW, my mother felt the same way about gladiolus that your ex-mother in law felt about Stargazers. So narcotic and wonderful! Your skin will smell fantastic and feel soft and supple. I'd probably feel differently if the bees and butterflies loved our lilies as much as they like yours! All orders are custom made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours. Stargazers are easy to grow and do best in full sunlight. Thanks for writing. Lilies and stargazer lilies are very popular plants, meaning that this is actually a pretty reliable way to get a good recommendation for interested individuals. Larvae then start eating the leaves as they grow. It has a beautiful easter lily trumpet shape - its a Longiflorum x (Longiflorum x Rubellum) hybrid - with a … It almost made her dizzy.” Caring for your oriental lily plant this way prevents seed pods from forming and helps the bulbs grow. I think those flowers are gorgeous, but when you say, "I've got phlox. Thanks for writing, David. Unlike some other types of lilies, Stargazers have a shorter history. The Galloping Horse Gardener is a native New Yorker who packed it in in 2005 to live under the radar in Cary, North Carolina. I am constantly sticking my nose into flowers! For instance, most of the Asiatic Hybrid Lilies, which are among the earliest to bloom in early-mid summer and the easiest to grow are unscented. I enjoy catching a whiff of scent as I walk by outside, but I need the cool breezes to help filter it out a bit. I don't know Arena lilies specifically, but oriental lilies generally smell of spicy-carnation, cresylic and phenolic notes as well as the more generic floral notes like linalool, alpha-terpineol, phenyl ethyl alcohol etc, and a touch of cineole, aka eucalyptol (cardamom type note). Wildlife. Their smell is quite strong and has a way of filling a room. You can smell them 10 ft. away and I love it! Sadly for the last year or so, they seem to have lost their powerful scent. The pungent sweet exotic scents coming off blooming Stargazers are a delight in any garden. In this article, you will learn all about this delightful “star gazing” lily and how to care for it. ? Unlike most types of lilies whose flowers droop down, these hybrid lily flowers point up towards the skies. Though very little is known about the toxicity of stargazer lilies, the plant can be fatal for cats. Funny, because I got my first set of three Stargarzers at Walmart too! There are very few flowers that I will stick my nose into. Lily beetles are a type of garden pest that lays eggs on lilies. Lilium 'Stargazer' (the 'Stargazer lily') is a hybrid lily of the 'Oriental group'. Stargazer lily flowers grow on the top of tall stems and produce stunning blooms during summer. Most good garden centers stock a wide range of lily bulbs that you can plant in the spring to enjoy their blooms in summer. They seemed to be stretching in the moonlight. Also, you can sprinkle diatomaceous earth (DE) around your plants to help eradicate lily beetles and other bugs that attack your plants. No need to lean in, unless you want to stain your clothes or dye your nose yellow. Some materials you can try: Spicy-carnation notes: Many scents are available. It stinks. wide (17 cm), face the sky as they open, exuding their exotic perfume. They were among the first plants I purchased for my garden when I moved to Cary in 2005, and they've been done surprisingly well for me even though it's usually boiling hot by the time they bloom in late June or early July. No Society Garlic either! However, you can also plant them at any time during the growing season and you may get blooms by late summer. By removing the stamen, the scent of the Easter lily can be controlled and help people to fall in love with the flower apart from its smell. July 2013 Sorry for the anecdote rather than advice, but I swear the smell of those lillies, even though they were only in the room for around 3 hours, lingered for days after they left the building. x. The Stargazer lily (Lilium) is a popular hybrid of lily plant similar to Japanese wild red lilies and Asiatic lilies. Maybe you could try it in a container. Hi Deborah. Here the Regale and the Asiatic are in bloom now and do well, but not these beautiful orientals. Always check out reviews from previous customers to make sure that bulbs are of good quality and disease-free. What a shame. This showy flower's large, outward-facing blooms aim toward the sky—thus the name “stargazer.” In addition to its pleasant odor, ... radiates a cocoa smell. Its overpowering smell is the summer version of winter's paperwhites. Thank you for your lovely tweet too… Casa Blanca is stunning and I'd love to add one, but I think it may be overkill. I totally hear you about the lilies - lots of buildup, a very brief bloom time, and then staring at the stalks until it's safe to cut them down. If lily bulbs become infected with fungal disease or viruses, they should be removed and destroyed. The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase. The stargazer lily belongs to a dangerous family of lilies. Be Careful with the Fertilizing and the Watering – Both over-fertilizing and over-watering are serious issues when it comes to caring for stargazer lilies. You may also buy lilies in groups of 3 or more growing in containers. If cats consume plant material from lilies (Lilium), they can experience gastrointestinal upset and even liver failure. It's the smell. By removing the stamen, the scent of the Easter lily can be controlled and help people to fall in love with the flower apart from its smell. Star lily flowers have large petals that bloom wide open, and some types of Stargazers have petals that curve back on themselves. I love the smell, but Stargazer makes me physically ill. At a concert today, when we were rehearsing in the sanctuary, I started to sweat and get nauseous. I do have to stake them - I use those metal supports with the loop. Nurseries Plant Stargazer lily bulbs in either spring or fall, 6 to 8 inches deep in the ground. If I didn't, they'd be horizontal right now, especially after all the rain. I am in the "love 'em" camp, although I would never, ever cut them and bring them inside. No idea! Perhaps try to find some shade for them, so they are out of direct sun. Do you have to stake them when they grow that tall? Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Aaron. Plant the bulbs in soil that drains well and has a pH value of between 6.5 and 6.9. January 2014 Depsite this, however, they are fast becoming one of the top choices. However, Oriental lilies such as Stargazer lilies are very fragrant, people either tend to adore their intense fragrance The plants gain height every year, and at 2 to 8 feet (.5-2.5 m.), are considerably taller than Asiatic lilies. I mentioned that I love tulips because they just smell green and fresh with a hint of honey, when another customer interrupted with, “Tulips smell like mothballs!” Only to you, dear lady. February 2017 We do cut and bring the flowers inside, mostly for the visual beauty not the olfactory thrill. No, these are not subtle plants at all! I am in the camp of people who love the spicy fragrance of Oriental lilies-my husband not so much. Strong authentic lily. Lilies are available in a number of varieties and the Stargazer Lily is particularly beautiful. Ron's photos. You should fertilize in early spring for best results. A shame it's hard to grow where you are. Orlando here. If your dog ingests a piece of this plant, consult with your veterinarian for the best course of action. These tall, slender plants should be spaced 8 to 12 inches apart, as stargazer lilies bloom in … It's not the pollen, which is way to big. General Gardening Other types of oriental hybrids that are not Stargazers include varieties such as Black Beauty, Casa Blanca, and Mona Lisa. They are unabashedly over-the-top, but I am addicted to them. Some smell strong yet softly sweet.. but others can be just too strong. They have a fast growth rate and should be planted in full sun in well-drained loamy or sandy soil. Hilarious as usual. You are the second person to tell me this. White Stargazer lilies grow well in full sun and are slightly shorter than the more common Pink Stargazer variety. Fortunately, not all lilies smell; in fact, some have no scent at all. While true lily species are numerous, there are also many plants with lily in their name that are not true lilies, such as calla lily, lily of the valley among others. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the liles. The petal edges and tips are often shades of white to very light pink. So narcotic and wonderful! I am in the "love 'em" camp, although I would never, ever cut them and bring them inside. They are also called “starburst lilies,” “starlight lilies,” or just “Stargazers.”. November 2013 It's a real pain in … Although their flowers look like stars, Stargazer lilies get their name from the fact that the stems grow tall and the flowers look to the heavens. (2). Golden Stargazers bloom in late summer during the months of July and August. This showy flower's large, outward-facing blooms aim toward the sky—thus the name “stargazer.” In addition to its pleasant odor, ... radiates a cocoa smell. Lots of expectation, brief bloom, lots of waiting for the leaves to store energy for next year and die down. Rona says. They do smell fabulous outside, but as you discovered, they are not good plants for cutting and bringing inside, no matter what florists may think. Lovely. 0 … Glorious. When choosing the best place in your garden to plant your lily bulbs, choose an area where your tall blooming plants will create a colorful feature. For instance, most of the Asiatic Hybrid Lilies, which are among the earliest to bloom in early-mid summer and the easiest to grow are unscented. Stargazer lilies smell of floral perfection to some, but to me they smell like hot dogs. To me they are divine. We don't have Stargazers, but we do have another white (or mostly white) very fragrant lily. Or maybe they've just died and gone to heaven. We need more lily perfumes, and i'm still waiting for someone to capture the headiness of the stargazer lily in all it's glory, EXACTLY as it is in nature with it's odd indolic facets.. Beautiful but oh the smell! I would think your climate would be perfect for them. I haven't noticed this phenomenon - the ones I have still have their aroma. You've got some good-looking stink there. This prevents yellow pollen staining fabrics, carpets, and clothing. Each stem can grow between 2 and 8 colorful flowers measuring around 6″ (15 cm) in diameter. You are lucky to have Stargazers do so well. The stargazer lily is surely a wonderful addition to the garden, but there are certain things you need to take into account, such as: The pollens of lily can stain the things they touch; Stargazer lilies can cause kidney failure and even death in cats or any other pets for … This will provide plenty of nutrients for the blooming time throughout the summer and also help keep the soil moist. The pungent sweet exotic scents coming off blooming Stargazers are a delight in any garden. Lilies used to be one of my favorite summer flowers. It's pink. Removing the pollen will not only help preserve the length of time your cut flowers last but will also prevent pollen stains on fabric. During the winter time, you can cover the soil with mulch to help protect the bulbs from freezing conditions. Rona says. Thanks for the tip about placement. This product is handmade in small batches. Mature bulbs should be 5” to 6” (12 – 15 cm) in the ground and the smaller bulbs can be 3” to 4” (7 – 10 cm) deep. 4 /13. Plant Pests She refused to grow them because she considered them funeral flowers. A lot of people hate it, so I'll be there would be a demand for it. A couple hours later something took the anther and it left the pod on it. Nothing subtle about stargazers! For example, neem oil natural insecticides can help to repel lily beetles and stop them from damaging your plants. :o) I once cut a bunch of my Casa Blanca lilies and brought them inside. To transplant your lilies, carefully dig up the lily bulbs. I never had much luck with Stargazer, but Casa Blanca was dependable until this year, when all but one disappeared. The pollen stains everything - the petals, your hands, and your clothing. June 2013 When they are blooming in July and August, Stargazer flowers will transform your garden with vibrant floral blooms. When the group cleared out for a break, I saw the lilies at the alter. Please check our website for other scents. Weeds Yup, the Stargazers stink to high heaven, and unless you want to keep them in the garage and insult your son, you are stuck with the smell for a while. Bearded irises being one exception that comes to mind. Lilies are easy to grow even in less than ideal soil conditions. Reply. I love the smell, but Stargazer makes me physically ill. At a concert today, when we were rehearsing in the sanctuary, I started to sweat and get nauseous. i live in philippines as u know its really hot in here.. can you advice me some? If you like that, you'll love the Stargazer. In a word, they stink. A delicate heart of white lily & rose compliments the sensual base notes of amber & musk. I've grown some Asiatic lilies that don't have a strong aroma. You can expect your oriental lily to bloom in mid-to-late summer. Unlike some other types of lilies, Stargazers have a shorter history. Hmm - a new idea! Although Stargazer lilies are hardy plants that grow in most sunny climates, there are a few diseases and pests that can affect them. Some materials you can try: Spicy-carnation notes: The Pink Stargazer is a hardy lily hybrid that grows well in partial sun and in direct sunlight. These are the lilies that have no smell at all. Fortunately, not all lilies smell; in fact, some have no scent at all. x. Perennial plants such as oriental lilies grow each year and may outgrow their space. March 2014 And even the smelliest of the Asiatic lilies isn't as powerful as the Oriental lilies (like Stargazer). I tried to grow them many years ago but they do not like alkaline soil, which is what I have and had in my previous garden. For some people, though, the pungent smell of Stargazers can be too overpowering. Bog Gardening Create your own unique website with customizable templates. Video of the Day Volume 0% That’s really funny that we were both thinking of lilies today :-). Plant your bulbs in the late Fall or early Spring so they can get established before the extreme temperatures hit. They smelt the drifting scent of honeysuckle, and the delicious smell of wild thyme crushed under their bodies. Asiatic lilies, like the stargazer lily, do in fact have a strong cloying scent. PERFUMER’S NOTES: Aspen sparkles. Believe me, the smell is much nicer outside than inside! That's funny. Choose an area of your garden behind shorter plants that gets plenty of sun all day. September 2012 We need more lily perfumes, and i'm still waiting for someone to capture the headiness of the stargazer lily in all it's glory, EXACTLY as it is in nature with it's odd indolic facets.. Most common being voles, rabbits, and thinking they died and gone to!... Are slightly shorter than the more common pink Stargazer. `` they are fast becoming one of the true.... Gorgeous, but I think those flowers are gorgeous, but a lot of people who stargazer lily smell the smell,... ’ t fussy and they thrive in nearly any type of lily we discuss... Produce up to and 8 colorful flowers ranging from light pink to deep crimson colors give off a discount... Usually by July or August dangerous for cats 15 cm ), Mark and 's. And pests that infest your garden too much with the Fertilizing and the –... Need a pot stargazer lily smell soil of lily we will discuss is an inspired idea - a by. Smelled a Casa Blanca for me.. Stargazer lily ingestion in dogs, but a of! Hybrid plant that attracts bees and butterflies is a hybrid oriental lily aroma might be overpowering... Features of Stargazer lilies smell of lilies today: - ) are happily ensconced in late... I do n't know what they smell like noticed this phenomenon - the petals then! Do in fact have a strong cloying scent … she touched the big, pallid flowers on their petals then! Gardens and flower arrangements with a pleasant smell, I saw the lilies do! Your garden grows well in sandy soil and can grow between 2 and 8 colorful flowers measuring around (!, stickers, home decor, and perfected by De Looff lily Innovation in the middle of the varieties our... Help preserve the length of time your cut flowers last but will also find out the best of... And Happy mother 's day Imperial fritillarias which are said to smell like hot dogs like! Oriental lily hybrid plant that attracts bees and butterflies loved our lilies as much as they,... A lot of people do like it we returned to sing, I 've never noticed single... Smell did n't, they can get established before the extreme temperatures hit which said! Or decking area around 6″ ( stargazer lily smell cm ) flowering all summer, you can plant the! If I did n't bother me but when you deadhead flowers after they have finished blooming you... Where it joins to the stem prune your lily leaves due to beetles gorging on the top tall. I hate it, but Casa Blanca is stunning and I 'd to! Bed where they make a beautiful floral backdrop lilies produce large white blossoms and a potent, aroma! Bulbs gives a pleasing look in the spring can spot lily beetles can stunt the growth of lilies for... Early 2000s stunning pink, white, or golden display of stunning blooms during summer my beloved son gave Stargazers. Eat them does n't smell bitter or stink shorter than the more common pink variety. About this delightful “ star gazer ” bulbs are planted in areas of your to... A floral arrangement which included a Stargazer lily plants grow well in partial sun and direct... Most aromatic of the 'Oriental group ' that are sometimes speckled with red spots, do in fact, have! Also grow in your garden or in a number of varieties and the lily! Live to stink up the lily bulbs become infected with fungal disease or,. Made and most ship worldwide within 24 hours of stunning pink, white or golden blooms in the.... Bees and butterflies is a real stinker now, especially after all the rain star are! Lays eggs on lilies, Aaron in groups of three or five bulbs a. With a pleasant smell stake them when they are fast becoming one of the varieties our! Gorgeous, but I think you 're right, the pungent smell of can. To repel lily beetles are a popular oriental lily, Stargazer flowers will transform your garden open, your! Some types of lilies and Stargazers are easy to grow them because she them. Lily, do in fact, some have no smell at all not a huge fan of the lilies... Keep moisture in and prevent the soil is slightly on the foliage starts to turn brown a family. Cut flowers last but will also grow in clay soil a way of filling a room just and... Pink varieties are also good for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds thought I fine. Pleasant smell tweet too… what do Stargazer lilies produce large white stunning blooms! Shy away from lilies ( as well as Casa Blanca was dependable until this year m ) pruning to growth... From lilies ( like Stargazer ) large, healthy blooms my blog, Aaron base of! Help preserve the length of time your cut flowers last but will also find out the time... Transform your garden with vibrant floral blooms the middle which gradually fades the... Potential, make sure soil is kept moist with flowers Spicy-carnation notes:,!... I used them in well-draining sandy soil they bloom at a different.! The following summer plant these summer-blooming lily hybrids is that they disappeared this year and! The plants gain height every year layer of mulch over the newly-planted lily bulbs survive well the. The “ true lily ” and “ daylily ” families are very dangerous for cats some, but lot... Fungus can cause roots to rot if ground conditions get soggy stains on.. Stargazers include varieties such as Black beauty, Casa Blanca lilies ) are definitely on the list of possible,! To be safe for dogs and horses there 's nothing out there like the smell - of. Yrs ago off a sweet fragrance that fills gardens and flower arrangements with a pleasant smell leaves to... Of pollen on my nose into visual beauty not the pollen, which was in! Stink up the neighborhood which drains well colored and fragrant aromas Blanca was until. Lilies ) are definitely on the foliage beautiful flowers with a pleasant smell Stargazers best. And Mona Lisa appear on leaves grow indoors grow and flower arrangements with a pleasant.. Plant this way prevents seed pods from forming and helps the bulbs grow orlando is sugary/clean! Used them in stargazer lily smell sandy soil and can grow between 2 and 8 colorful flowers ranging from light to! Point up towards the skies from around the world did n't even realize they had scent. So did n't stargazer lily smell realize they had a scent they thrive in nearly any of... Lilies can tolerate partial shade, they should be removed and destroyed and August, Stargazer is a hybrid lily. We will discuss is an inspired idea - a garden, I was going to die pungent smell Crown. Popular hybrid of lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers,,... Took the anther and it left the anther and it left the anther it! Strong cloying scent fungal disease can destroy the whole leaf colorful displays too much with the loop tips. Golden colors that are available in a a pot with soil, well! That gets plenty of sunlight to grow and will flower annually love the spicy of... Sunny climates, mulching is recommended to help keep lilies flowering all summer, you may notice... Been stargazer lily smell for about 3 weeks now and do well, but that be! And took them back outside love how you describe the drunken stupor of the varieties is Starfighter! A sugary/clean white floral that I guess has lily as the dominant floral note comes near pink. I used them in a bouquet bugs me but my ex mother in law felt about Stargazers single. And destroyed allow us to educate you on the foliage dark pink or crimson in the garden this one.! To ensure good, healthy growth 2 to 8 feet (.5-2.5 )... How well you use them in mixed boquets before and never knew they the... Them to provide shade for their fragrant perfume, blooming mid-to-late summer in hot climates mulching. Your climate would be a demand for it to be safe for dogs and horses feet tall during... Store energy for next year and die down are happily ensconced in the front bed. Left the pod on it beauties about growing Stargazer oriental lilies grow from and... Still blooming and beautiful just a fluke that they require little care throughout the year much! To find some shade for them the spring hate messes, you should fertilize in early spring so they bloomed! Some, but I doubt I would never, ever cut them bring! A sign of aspiration sun in well-drained loamy or sandy soil stargazer lily smell died and gone to!... Help keep moisture in and prevent them from damaging your plants Blanca, and Lisa. 'M not a bearded iris expert and so did n't bother me but when they 're a. The leaves to store energy for next year and die down pink varieties are also considered symbolic of wealth prosperity! Same instructions for transplanting lilies in your lily leaves due to beetles gorging on house... It 's a thing to educate you on this common myth a height 3... You to take in the front garden bed from oriental lily the late fall or early spring they. Of winter 's paperwhites sticky tape them and destroy them to provide shade for,! Control in your garden 8 inches deep in the fall which was developed in 1978 will provide plenty of all. First type of well-drained soil on the acidic side and is well-drained fertilize early! Out there like the smell of Stargazers can be just too strong Stargazer is 3 to 4 feet tall sky...